Career in Merchant Navy after Graduation

Career in Merchant Navy

The Indian Merchant Navy is one of the most prestigious institution that is headed by the Indian government in current times. It is one of those government bodies that people across the country wish to be associated with, which makes it one of the most coveted career options after Grade 12th. The disputable reputation of government organizations is demolished by the Indian Merchant Navy and as opposed to the other drab public services, there is not just responsibility, but glamour attached to the job too. The naval ships that are visible from the shoreline are known to entice onlookers and make them want to be part of it, if and when possible. This article while give you the nitty gritties of a plausible career in the merchant navy, where and how you need to start.

merchant navy ships

Merchant navy eligibility

As is the case with all government jobs, there is a certain eligibility criteria that one has to meet in order to be considered for a job in the merchant navy. There are physical requirements as well as educational qualifications. They have been listed below.

• The applicant must have passed Grade 12 with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics
  • There is a medical test that is conducted by the government officials and the candidate needs to pass that test too. The test makes sure that the candidate is physically fit to endure long sea voyages and has a 6 by 6 vision.
  • There are two merchant navy courses that a candidate can go in for, viz BSc. in Nautical Science and Marine Engineering and Marine Engineering Degree Course. There is a nationwide entrance test that is held to select the most suitable candidates for the course. This is the Joint Entrance Examination that is taken care of, by the Indian Institute of Technology.

The candidates who clear this test are enrolled into either of the courses mentioned above on the basis of their score and have to move to either Mumbai or Calcutta.

The Marine Engineering degree takes as long as an normal engineering degree, that is four years. Of the many options after 12th, this is one of the career opportunities after 12th that both parents and children agree upon without any bad blood.

The “how to join merchant navy” question is not one that is asked by adolescents. There are people who have made advancements in their career and rethink it after a while. The doors of the merchant navy are not shut to these people as a career in merchant navy after mechanical engineering is very much a possibility and there is a huge chunk of people who opt for this path. A comprehensive study of the same is presented below.

Once you have joined the academy you will go through a one year, pre sea training, post which you will be sent for sailing as a deck cadet.

In the case that you have opted for the BSc. course you will be able to achieve the title of a captain after gaining experience on the ship for a period of 5 to 7 years.

Merchant Navy after B. Tech

There are certain restrictions that are present in case you have completed your B.Tech and want to set asail after. The most important of them is that you must have a B. Tech degree from a university that is recognized by the DGS Circular 07 2005. Any specialization other than Marine Engineering will lead you to a 10 month training near the port region. This is a pre-sea training and you need to have adept knowledge of the functioning of ships and the duties that go on in it, before you are actually sent one. On successful completion of the course you will join the ship as a junior engineer and will be promoted to the position of Chief Engineer after having gained 5 to 7 years of experience of sailing.

Similar to the selection process of Grade 12 students, there is a common entrance exam for interested B. Tech candidates too. Here is what you need to get your foot in the door.

• A minimum of 50% marks in the final year of your graduation.
  • A minimum of 50% marks in your Grade 12 exam.
  • Should not be more than 28 years of age.
  • Must be physically fit as per the standards set by government, that is, you should have 6 by 6 field vision and must not be colour blind.

There are quite a number of private institutions that offer the Marine engineering course for the B.Tech candidates and all these institutes are situated on the coastal areas for obvious reasons.

The General Marine Engineering course is also offered by these private institutions, but you do need to make sure that they have their certification approved by the Directorate General of Shipping, India or the course will be of no good to you as there securing a job in the merchant navy on the basis of the certificate will be impossible. Below mentioned is a list of some of the renowned institutions that offer the General Marine Engineering course and where they are located.

• Academy of Maritime Education and Training, Chennai
  • Garden Reach Ship Builders and Engineers Ltd, Kolkata
  • Samundra Institute of Maritime Studies, Lonavala, Mumbai
  • International Maritime Institute Ltd, Greater Noida
  • Vel’s Academy of Maritime Education and Training, Chennai

The completion of the course provided the students to not just join the Merchant Navy in India, but become Naval officers on board for international ships as well. This opens the world market of merchant navy jobs for the person who has completed the course.
Fees for the course

The fees for the course is not to high when compared to the other courses that you can join. An approximate sum of Rs.300000 lakh needs to shelled out by the student as fees for the entire course.

Thus, the merchant navy is one of the best options after 12th or engineering for anyone who is looking for an adventurous yet honorable job.

63 Responses

1. manoj

04/07/2011, 12:42 pm

Now that’s a good piece of information for the PCM students. Can you please tell me the career at the Indian Navy after the completion of B.E. in Computer Science stream and waht are the various fields that a CS engineer can apply for the merchant navy.

2. aditya

07/10/2011, 08:00 pm

after how much time we could get a monthly salary of 8 lakhs and what is the time period in merchant navy

• Sriram

08/04/2011, 07:36 am

After 10 years u could be promoted as captain ;then u can get 6 to 10 lakhs according to place and ship u are working at

3. Harshit

07/21/2011, 12:15 pm

I am an computer science engg student and requires to know whether i can apply for merchant navy or not? and too i need to know that if i can apply do i get directly placed to job on some foriegn ship or i have to complete any one course offered by you.

4. Kunal Hazarika

07/22/2011, 04:45 pm

I have passed my HS in commerce stream without maths, and i m currently doing B.com with Management as major. can i apply for Merchant Navy? I m vry much interested in making Merchant Navy as my career.

5. rohan malekar

07/30/2011, 05:42 am

i compltd my gradution with mechanical enginnering.i am intrested in merchant navy.can u mail me all the important details of the merchant navy,as in the courses required etc

6. Dinesh Bisht

08/01/2011, 11:17 pm

I have completed my Bachelor of management studies from Mumbai University( passing year 2010), I have commerce back ground @ Junior college level. As i am interested in shipping industry , please suggest me which course will be suitable for me

7. ketan kamboj

08/02/2011, 02:43 pm

I have completed my gradution with mechanical enginnering.i am intrested in merchant navy.can u mail me all the important details of the merchant navy,as in the courses required, fee structure etc

8. chandan kumar mishra

08/06/2011, 12:39 pm

hellow respected,
    iam chandan kimar mishra and also student of (I.sc with bio)
    but i want to interested for merchent navy. so iam asking it is better for me after intermediate
    if yes then who is better course able for me because iwant job hurrry.
    i will wait for your replay
    (chandan kumar mishra)

9. Rahul Singh

08/09/2011, 07:15 pm

hello respected sir,
    iam rahul singh and i am pass out of intermediate of I.sc with bio & math
    sir i am interested for merchant navy. plz reply me rahulhot121gmail.com

10. vinay kumar

08/15/2011, 02:26 pm

hello,i am vinay kumar and i am seeing in 12th(non-medical)
    i am interested for merchant navy.its my aim that one day i
    will be a good officer in merchant navy…
    if interested then contact me at 9728953845

11. Himansu sekhar Panda

08/16/2011, 09:31 pm

Dear sir,

i m himanshu sekhar panda and i have completed the 10+2 and graduation with physics,chemistry and math
    Sir i m very much interested for merchant navy.Is there any option for me.plz reply me sir

( sekhar_himanshu@ymail.com)

12. Gaurav

08/31/2011, 02:46 pm

hello sir nd my dear friends i have passed my 10+2 (PCM) i want to make carrier in merchant navy so can u plz guide me firstly what shud i do plz reply

13. ramana

08/31/2011, 02:49 pm

sir i have completed my B.E.(MARINE ENGINEERING). can you please assist me to find a job.

14. Pawan

09/27/2011, 12:13 am

• maruthi

02/10/2012, 09:09 pm

hai did u get the reply for ur question (Now that’s a good piece of information for the PCM students. Can you please tell me the career at the Indian Navy after the completion of B.Tech. in Computer Science stream and waht are the various fields that a CS engineer can apply for the merchant navy)

if so can u forward me the information maruthi08507@gmail.com

15. abhinav rao

10/29/2011, 01:46 pm

i am 12th pass with pcm group 45%.
    and with ncc “a” cirtificate holder .
    so i am intrested join merchant navy.

16. aman rai

11/01/2011, 09:18 pm

sir i am in class10 my dream is to come in merchant navy after passingout class 12 i want to come in merchant navy..but one problem is that in class 11 im going to takt bio so how i can come to merchant navy..please help me sir…please make me come in merchant navy..
    thankyou

17. vijay kumar

11/16/2011, 01:15 pm

sir,
    i pass intermedite 2nd div. 58.2 % , feculty commerce. I study B.Com part 2 …… Ext Eduction – Diploma in Computer Application.

18. kartik

11/20/2011, 05:51 pm

i am a student of bacholar of buosness administration i want to make my career in merchant navy is that possible

• aayush thakur

12/01/2012, 12:16 pm

sir , i am in 12th cls and my aim is to be a merchant navy officer so plz explain what i do now………. Thank you merchant navy…

19. sandeep

01/22/2012, 07:28 pm

sir, iam sandeep and iam a commerce bagground student so iam in a aim to join in indian navy so do i have aligibility to join in navy or not if i can what i are the qualifications that i requid please if you can tell

20. maruthi

02/10/2012, 09:11 pm

21. Viraj Deshpande

04/13/2012, 06:51 pm

I have done my 12th from commerce n right now I am doing last year B.C.A, I am interested in doing my career in Merchant Navy. How can I join Merchant Navy??

22. mohit sharma

05/21/2012, 03:31 pm

i have done class 12th from science stream(PCM) with 54% marks and completed my BCA in 2012 with 66% ,i want to join merchant navy, so please give me all information about this.

23. AJAY BOHAT

06/18/2012, 10:09 pm

24. Gitesh

06/30/2012, 02:26 pm

hello sir i have passed my 10+2 (PCM) i want to make carrier in merchant navy so can u plz guide me firstly what shud i do plz reply…………

25. abdul khalid khan

07/01/2012, 09:04 pm

I am an computer engg student studing third year of diploma and requires to know whether i can apply for merchant navy or not? and too i need to know that if i can apply do i get directly placed to job on some foriegn ship or i have to complete any one course offered by you (PLEASE REPLY)

26. Harshit

07/11/2012, 10:20 pm

I am an computer science engg student and want to know whether there i.e. on ship any scope for C.S.Engineers and if yes how i can apply ? and too i need to know that if i can apply do i get directly placed to job on some foriegn ship or i have to complete any one course offered by you.

reply must plz

27. mirtunjay kr singh

07/15/2012, 08:37 pm

sir i am mirtunjay singh i have mer navy c d c nd passport i am complete course in yak management please help me sir thank you

28. ABHIJIT ROY

12/22/2012, 01:39 pm

sir, iam Abhijit Roy and iam a commerce background student so iam in a aim to join in indian navy so do i have aligibility to join in navy or not if i can what i are the qualifications that i requid please if you can tell me. my date of birth is 15 july 1982. tell me that i can eligible in merchant navy or not. please suggest what can i do.

29. Pintu singh

03/04/2013, 01:54 pm

hello sir
    i have passed my 10+2 (PCM) n prasuning b.sc (PCM) i want to make carrier in merchant navy so pls tell me In my gmail

30. amar shukla

04/02/2013, 07:52 am

sir,am appearing B.Tech 3rd yr with ELECTRICAL $ ELOCTRONICS ENGG..
    what should i do to get a good job in indian murchant navy?

31. Himanshu

04/10/2013, 01:12 pm

Sir i am passed the 12th class with in 56% marks in non medical.Now am doing the work in Indorama indistries limited baddi himachal pardesh,(product-spandex yarn) as a technical operator 28 nov to till date.Now sir i want to make carrier in merchant navy.Sir its my 1st aim.

Thanking you.

32. vikash

05/06/2013, 09:09 pm

sir, i am btech in deparment of electronics and communcation, can i join merchant , and b.tech is an +ve point for me,

my eyeside is weak, however it 6/6 after use glasses

thanks sir

33. nikhil

06/12/2013, 10:43 pm

i am in second year of bsc computer science can i join merchant navy after my graduation.

34. SIBIN GEORGE PAUL

06/18/2013, 09:06 pm

sir i have completed my b.tech mechanical engineering….what should i do to get a job in merchant navi..???

35. adam

03/16/2014, 12:26 pm

i want to go merchant navy i am in 12th cls and my aim is to be a merchant navy officer so plz explain what i do now

36. suneet tiwari

07/05/2014, 05:47 pm

i’m suneet tiwari , i’m interset merchant navy and i want to join merchent navy plz any persin advice me

37. shubham sanjay kuundal

02/21/2015, 04:59 pm

sir,
    pleas information in MERCHANT NAVY .
    pass in 12th sci. in pcm group.my contact -09604622071