Career in Merchant Navy
The Indian Merchant Navy is one of the most prestigious institution that is headed by the Indian government in current times. It is one of those government bodies that people across the country wish to be associated with, which makes it one of the most coveted career options after Grade 12th. The disputable reputation of government organizations is demolished by the Indian Merchant Navy and as opposed to the other drab public services, there is not just responsibility, but glamour attached to the job too. The naval ships that are visible from the shoreline are known to entice onlookers and make them want to be part of it, if and when possible. This article while give you the nitty gritties of a plausible career in the merchant navy, where and how you need to start.
Merchant navy eligibility
As is the case with all government jobs, there is a certain eligibility criteria that one has to meet in order to be considered for a job in the merchant navy. There are physical requirements as well as educational qualifications. They have been listed below.
- The applicant must have passed Grade 12 with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics
- There is a medical test that is conducted by the government officials and the candidate needs to pass that test too. The test makes sure that the candidate is physically fit to endure long sea voyages and has a 6 by 6 vision.
- There are two merchant navy courses that a candidate can go in for, viz BSc. in Nautical Science and Marine Engineering and Marine Engineering Degree Course. There is a nationwide entrance test that is held to select the most suitable candidates for the course. This is the Joint Entrance Examination that is taken care of, by the Indian Institute of Technology.
The candidates who clear this test are enrolled into either of the courses mentioned above on the basis of their score and have to move to either Mumbai or Calcutta.
The Marine Engineering degree takes as long as an normal engineering degree, that is four years. Of the many options after 12th, this is one of the career opportunities after 12th that both parents and children agree upon without any bad blood.
The “how to join merchant navy” question is not one that is asked by adolescents. There are people who have made advancements in their career and rethink it after a while. The doors of the merchant navy are not shut to these people as a career in merchant navy after mechanical engineering is very much a possibility and there is a huge chunk of people who opt for this path. A comprehensive study of the same is presented below.
Once you have joined the academy you will go through a one year, pre sea training, post which you will be sent for sailing as a deck cadet.
In the case that you have opted for the BSc. course you will be able to achieve the title of a captain after gaining experience on the ship for a period of 5 to 7 years.
Merchant Navy after B. Tech
There are certain restrictions that are present in case you have completed your B.Tech and want to set asail after. The most important of them is that you must have a B. Tech degree from a university that is recognized by the DGS Circular 07 2005. Any specialization other than Marine Engineering will lead you to a 10 month training near the port region. This is a pre-sea training and you need to have adept knowledge of the functioning of ships and the duties that go on in it, before you are actually sent one. On successful completion of the course you will join the ship as a junior engineer and will be promoted to the position of Chief Engineer after having gained 5 to 7 years of experience of sailing.
Similar to the selection process of Grade 12 students, there is a common entrance exam for interested B. Tech candidates too. Here is what you need to get your foot in the door.
- A minimum of 50% marks in the final year of your graduation.
- A minimum of 50% marks in your Grade 12 exam.
- Should not be more than 28 years of age.
- Must be physically fit as per the standards set by government, that is, you should have 6 by 6 field vision and must not be colour blind.
There are quite a number of private institutions that offer the Marine engineering course for the B.Tech candidates and all these institutes are situated on the coastal areas for obvious reasons.
The General Marine Engineering course is also offered by these private institutions, but you do need to make sure that they have their certification approved by the Directorate General of Shipping, India or the course will be of no good to you as there securing a job in the merchant navy on the basis of the certificate will be impossible. Below mentioned is a list of some of the renowned institutions that offer the General Marine Engineering course and where they are located.
- Academy of Maritime Education and Training, Chennai
- Garden Reach Ship Builders and Engineers Ltd, Kolkata
- Samundra Institute of Maritime Studies, Lonavala, Mumbai
- International Maritime Institute Ltd, Greater Noida
- Vel’s Academy of Maritime Education and Training, Chennai
The completion of the course provided the students to not just join the Merchant Navy in India, but become Naval officers on board for international ships as well. This opens the world market of merchant navy jobs for the person who has completed the course.
Fees for the course
The fees for the course is not to high when compared to the other courses that you can join. An approximate sum of Rs.300000 lakh needs to shelled out by the student as fees for the entire course.
Thus, the merchant navy is one of the best options after 12th or engineering for anyone who is looking for an adventurous yet honorable job.