Career in Merchant Navy after Graduation

, , 62 Comments

merchant navy ships Merchant Navy is Kind of Job which  always fascinated by the high tides and vastness of oceans and more or less because of high pay scale.Marine Engineers are Solely responsible for All round Safe & Smooth Operations of  ship engines,boilers, Heavy machinery  of the ship, steam connections as well as maintenance of the ship,repair,up-gradation and construction of all the relevant marine machinery. they are person who are  overall in charge of  Ship Mechanical and Electronic Body and they have to ensure the safety and standards of the marine body. With Modern Development, the role of marine engineers has widened and smoothed, too, electronics navigation has helped the marine engineering a lot.

The responsibility of marine engineer are large and therefore require some essential personal attributes. The person should have organizing ability, tram spirit,ability to get on well with others, be cool and cope well under pressure, should be able to handle crisis, good at conceptualizing forms and structures,excellent communication skills,physical fitness and above all,liking for sea. The admiration of sea itself will develop an enhance these qualities.The High paying  nature of job fascinates youngsters to opt for  Marine Engineering as their career.

Do you Know?merchant navy students profile

60 %  of Students are already Graduated who opt Merchant navy as career every year in India.

30 % Students Join Merchant Navy after 12th Standard.

40 % Students who adopt Merchant Navy are from Mechanical Engineering Background.

Highest salary offer made to Merchant Navy Junior Engineer in Year 2011 is of 8 lakhs per year during placement session.

Merchant Navy Eligibility In India

No Matter where you are standing currently, either you have completed your graduation , or may be you are still in 12th standard, In both ways you can apply for the course and will get selected, however the minimum education qualification is 10+2 with PCM(Physics,Chemistry,Mathematics). However, biology at 10+2 is an added advantage. There are also certain medical norms(physical fitness) that need to be met to get entry into the Marine Engineering courses. One should have a good physique with sound health. The minimum height should be 150 cms with correlated weight and proportionate chest with minimum 5 cm expansion.

merchant navy classes

Merchant Navy Courses In India

• B.E Marine Engineering, Duration: 4 years; Eligibility: 10+2 with Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and English
  • B.S.C Nautical Science, Duration: 3 years, Eligibility: 10+2 with Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and English
  • M.E Marine Engineering, Duration: 2 years, Eligibility: B.E Marine Engineering.

Merchant Prospectus,Remunerations and Package In India

merchant navy salaryA Marine Engineer has a number of options after he earns the degree. Marine Engineers primarily work in the Indian Merchant Navy. The Merchant Navy mainly comprises of tankers,liners,passenger vehicles, or carriers and other type of specialized ships. These merchant navy ships are operated by public sector as well as private sector shipping companies. One has diversified option to select the ship one wants to join. A Marine Engineer enters as Junior Engineer then he get promoted to Second Engineer,Chief Engineer and Captain depending upon the number of experience.

Even at the Entry Level, the remuneration received by a marine engineer is high one. A person who joins Merchant Navy as junior engineer earns around 50,000 to 75,000 Rupees which is approximate merchant navy salary in India  per month in any foreign vessel. But most important benefit is that by virtue of traveling for more than six months outside Indian borders, he gets the status of an NRI (Non resident Indian) and this gets exemption from taxes plus he also gets other benefits too. Apart from ships,Marine Engineers are also employed for the designing, research, consulting, training and education purposes in the related Field.

If you have already studied merchant navy and looking for job as fresher or experienced , then you can check out merchant navy job portal

Top & Best Merchant Navy Colleges In India

• The Training Ship Chanakya (T S Chanakya), Karaus, Navi Mumbai.
  • Marine Engineering Research Institute, P-19, Taratolla Rd, Kolkata-700088
  • Marine Engineering & Research Institute, Hay Bunder Road, Mumbai – 400 033
  • Directorate General of Shipping, Jahaj Bhavan, Ballard Estate, Walchand Hirachand Marg, Mumbai 400001

Leading Shipping Companies that Hire Marine Engineers

Bibby ship management                                     S E shipping India pvt ltd

Aarti ship management pvt.ltd                       Executive ship management

M T M ship management                                    Ind-aust maritime pvt. ltd

Torm shipping India pvt. ltd.                          Ocean crew & marine management services pvt. ltd

Dohle danautic India pvt. ltd.                         Northern marine management

S V S marine services                                          General maritime crewing pte ltd

India steamship                                                    United ocean ship management

n y k shipmanagement pte. ltd                      Anglo – eastern ship management

Tolani shipping company ltd.                         b h n shipping company

Wilhelmsen ship management                       Essar shipping ltd.

Wallem shipmanagement limited                 Seaarland management services

British marine plc                                               fleet management ltd

Varun shipping                                                    navig8 ship management

V.ships India pvt. ltd.

62 Responses

1. manoj

04/07/2011, 12:42 pm

Now that’s a good piece of information for the PCM students. Can you please tell me the career at the Indian Navy after the completion of B.E. in Computer Science stream and waht are the various fields that a CS engineer can apply for the merchant navy.

2. aditya

07/10/2011, 08:00 pm

after how much time we could get a monthly salary of 8 lakhs and what is the time period in merchant navy

• Sriram

08/04/2011, 07:36 am

After 10 years u could be promoted as captain ;then u can get 6 to 10 lakhs according to place and ship u are working at

3. Harshit

07/21/2011, 12:15 pm

I am an computer science engg student and requires to know whether i can apply for merchant navy or not? and too i need to know that if i can apply do i get directly placed to job on some foriegn ship or i have to complete any one course offered by you.

4. Kunal Hazarika

07/22/2011, 04:45 pm

I have passed my HS in commerce stream without maths, and i m currently doing B.com with Management as major. can i apply for Merchant Navy? I m vry much interested in making Merchant Navy as my career.

5. rohan malekar

07/30/2011, 05:42 am

i compltd my gradution with mechanical enginnering.i am intrested in merchant navy.can u mail me all the important details of the merchant navy,as in the courses required etc

6. Dinesh Bisht

08/01/2011, 11:17 pm

I have completed my Bachelor of management studies from Mumbai University( passing year 2010), I have commerce back ground @ Junior college level. As i am interested in shipping industry , please suggest me which course will be suitable for me

7. ketan kamboj

08/02/2011, 02:43 pm

I have completed my gradution with mechanical enginnering.i am intrested in merchant navy.can u mail me all the important details of the merchant navy,as in the courses required, fee structure etc

8. chandan kumar mishra

08/06/2011, 12:39 pm

hellow respected,
    iam chandan kimar mishra and also student of (I.sc with bio)
    but i want to interested for merchent navy. so iam asking it is better for me after intermediate
    if yes then who is better course able for me because iwant job hurrry.
    i will wait for your replay
    (chandan kumar mishra)

9. Rahul Singh

08/09/2011, 07:15 pm

hello respected sir,
    iam rahul singh and i am pass out of intermediate of I.sc with bio & math
    sir i am interested for merchant navy. plz reply me rahulhot121gmail.com

10. vinay kumar

08/15/2011, 02:26 pm

hello,i am vinay kumar and i am seeing in 12th(non-medical)
    i am interested for merchant navy.its my aim that one day i
    will be a good officer in merchant navy…
    if interested then contact me at 9728953845

11. Himansu sekhar Panda

08/16/2011, 09:31 pm

Dear sir,

i m himanshu sekhar panda and i have completed the 10+2 and graduation with physics,chemistry and math
    Sir i m very much interested for merchant navy.Is there any option for me.plz reply me sir

( sekhar_himanshu@ymail.com)

12. Gaurav

08/31/2011, 02:46 pm

hello sir nd my dear friends i have passed my 10+2 (PCM) i want to make carrier in merchant navy so can u plz guide me firstly what shud i do plz reply

13. ramana

08/31/2011, 02:49 pm

sir i have completed my B.E.(MARINE ENGINEERING). can you please assist me to find a job.

14. Pawan

09/27/2011, 12:13 am

• maruthi

02/10/2012, 09:09 pm

hai did u get the reply for ur question (Now that’s a good piece of information for the PCM students. Can you please tell me the career at the Indian Navy after the completion of B.Tech. in Computer Science stream and waht are the various fields that a CS engineer can apply for the merchant navy)

if so can u forward me the information maruthi08507@gmail.com

15. abhinav rao

10/29/2011, 01:46 pm

i am 12th pass with pcm group 45%.
    and with ncc “a” cirtificate holder .
    so i am intrested join merchant navy.

16. aman rai

11/01/2011, 09:18 pm

sir i am in class10 my dream is to come in merchant navy after passingout class 12 i want to come in merchant navy..but one problem is that in class 11 im going to takt bio so how i can come to merchant navy..please help me sir…please make me come in merchant navy..
    thankyou

17. vijay kumar

11/16/2011, 01:15 pm

sir,
    i pass intermedite 2nd div. 58.2 % , feculty commerce. I study B.Com part 2 …… Ext Eduction – Diploma in Computer Application.

18. kartik

11/20/2011, 05:51 pm

i am a student of bacholar of buosness administration i want to make my career in merchant navy is that possible

• aayush thakur

12/01/2012, 12:16 pm

sir , i am in 12th cls and my aim is to be a merchant navy officer so plz explain what i do now………. Thank you merchant navy…

19. sandeep

01/22/2012, 07:28 pm

sir, iam sandeep and iam a commerce bagground student so iam in a aim to join in indian navy so do i have aligibility to join in navy or not if i can what i are the qualifications that i requid please if you can tell

20. maruthi

02/10/2012, 09:11 pm

21. Viraj Deshpande

04/13/2012, 06:51 pm

I have done my 12th from commerce n right now I am doing last year B.C.A, I am interested in doing my career in Merchant Navy. How can I join Merchant Navy??

22. mohit sharma

05/21/2012, 03:31 pm

i have done class 12th from science stream(PCM) with 54% marks and completed my BCA in 2012 with 66% ,i want to join merchant navy, so please give me all information about this.

23. AJAY BOHAT

06/18/2012, 10:09 pm

24. Gitesh

06/30/2012, 02:26 pm

hello sir i have passed my 10+2 (PCM) i want to make carrier in merchant navy so can u plz guide me firstly what shud i do plz reply…………

25. abdul khalid khan

07/01/2012, 09:04 pm

I am an computer engg student studing third year of diploma and requires to know whether i can apply for merchant navy or not? and too i need to know that if i can apply do i get directly placed to job on some foriegn ship or i have to complete any one course offered by you (PLEASE REPLY)

26. Harshit

07/11/2012, 10:20 pm

I am an computer science engg student and want to know whether there i.e. on ship any scope for C.S.Engineers and if yes how i can apply ? and too i need to know that if i can apply do i get directly placed to job on some foriegn ship or i have to complete any one course offered by you.

reply must plz

27. mirtunjay kr singh

07/15/2012, 08:37 pm

sir i am mirtunjay singh i have mer navy c d c nd passport i am complete course in yak management please help me sir thank you

28. ABHIJIT ROY

12/22/2012, 01:39 pm

sir, iam Abhijit Roy and iam a commerce background student so iam in a aim to join in indian navy so do i have aligibility to join in navy or not if i can what i are the qualifications that i requid please if you can tell me. my date of birth is 15 july 1982. tell me that i can eligible in merchant navy or not. please suggest what can i do.

29. Pintu singh

03/04/2013, 01:54 pm

hello sir
    i have passed my 10+2 (PCM) n prasuning b.sc (PCM) i want to make carrier in merchant navy so pls tell me In my gmail

30. amar shukla

04/02/2013, 07:52 am

sir,am appearing B.Tech 3rd yr with ELECTRICAL $ ELOCTRONICS ENGG..
    what should i do to get a good job in indian murchant navy?

31. Himanshu

04/10/2013, 01:12 pm

Sir i am passed the 12th class with in 56% marks in non medical.Now am doing the work in Indorama indistries limited baddi himachal pardesh,(product-spandex yarn) as a technical operator 28 nov to till date.Now sir i want to make carrier in merchant navy.Sir its my 1st aim.

Thanking you.

32. vikash

05/06/2013, 09:09 pm

sir, i am btech in deparment of electronics and communcation, can i join merchant , and b.tech is an +ve point for me,

my eyeside is weak, however it 6/6 after use glasses

thanks sir

33. nikhil

06/12/2013, 10:43 pm

i am in second year of bsc computer science can i join merchant navy after my graduation.

34. SIBIN GEORGE PAUL

06/18/2013, 09:06 pm

sir i have completed my b.tech mechanical engineering….what should i do to get a job in merchant navi..???

35. adam

03/16/2014, 12:26 pm

i want to go merchant navy i am in 12th cls and my aim is to be a merchant navy officer so plz explain what i do now

36. suneet tiwari

07/05/2014, 05:47 pm

i’m suneet tiwari , i’m interset merchant navy and i want to join merchent navy plz any persin advice me